You Are Here:

Update Services for Move

Updating Your Cable, Phone, Mail Address and Other Services With Your New Address

So you have finally moved to a new home in a new place. A change in address can definitely be quite a bother. To help you out, we have come up with a few helpful tips that will help you with the testing situation of changing your address.

Before you give your new address to all your services providers like cable, phone, electric, gas and other services you have to make sure that all mail received at your old address will, without any doubt, be redirected and passed on to your new address. This is essential, as most utilities will respond with bills and changes at your old address. To do this you will need to give your new address to the USPS, which you can do either at your local USPS branch or using the online USPS changing address facility.

Once you update your new address with the USPS, you can relax and begin the process of updating your other service providers with your new address. Certainly you should make sure that you suspend, discontinue or redirect all your important and expensive services to your new home address.

Essential services like your residence telephone service or mobile phone service need to be updated with a change in your address as soon as possible. You will perhaps have to fax the form that will be available on the website of your service provider. You can also call up their customer service to find out the formalities you are required to perform, and inform the company about your changed address. The same procedures will also be applied in case of long distance phone service and internet service provider. You will have to do the same for your electricity and gas services. You can even check out the internet or call up their customer care. Do update all other mail service providers such as Fed-Ex and Ups that you have subscribed to with your new address.

Collect all your medical records when you are about to move into a new residence. Also ask for references of doctors at the new area where ever you will be moving, from your present doctors.

In case of bank accounts and credit cards, visit your local bank branches and inform them about your address change. Here again you may have to complete certain formalities to bring the bank up to date with your new address.

For newspaper and magazines subscriptions, you can update your address or about any other subscription changes over a telephone call.

In case of club or association memberships, you can always let them know about your changed address over the phone, or write to them about it. A farewell in person is a warm gesture that is actually more appropriate. In case you have to pay participation fees or other membership charges, then make sure that they are either discontinued or suspended before leaving. You may also wish to continue your membership and participating in your present clubs even after you move to your new home. In that case, you will have to provide them with your new address. Usually your clubs and associations will have forms and will give them to you for updating themselves with your new address.

Get in touch with your insurance agent to perform to the necessary procedures to update the company with your new address. For your driver license, you have to get a new license that has your new address within 10 days. Use this link to request for your new driver license: - Select your state on the top of the page and follow the instruction.

To be able to vote in the new state where you have moved, you have to register yourself as a member of that state. Follow the instructions as written in the EAC website at

Finally, do let your friends, family, children’s school, your church, all the charities and organizations and associations that you are a member with, and your employees and employers know your new contact address and telephone numbers.

Regardless of how you feel about them, you will also have to update your new address in the records of the Internal Revenue Service or the IRS.

In case you are getting any disabilities or survivor’s benefits or SSI (Supplement Security Income), inform the supplement security offices about the change of address so that you can continue to enjoy these benefits.

We hope we have made your moving easier by listing all the essential services. Follow these as a basic guideline and enjoy your new home!

Share With Your Friends!